Which Is Better: Finding Nemo Vs Finding Dory

Welcome to the second take on the Which Is Better test. Judging from my page views it was quite a successful experiment. Today I'm pitting the two fish flicks Finding Nemo and Finding Dory against each other. I have a list of ocean related puns to incorporate into this article in an effort to provide some laughs to you the audience. I'm trying to get at least ten puns into this. I'm going with a three round battle, since these aren't trilogies and neither films have action that's worth talking about. Instead the three rounds will be cast, story, and effects/music. SPOILERS for Finding Dory will be present so "CONTINUE AT SPOILER RISK!" I'm going to delay no longer and get this watered down post underway. That's one.

1. Cast

I've praised the talent at Pixar many times. Their casts never deliver anything so shallow. Leading the charge on Nemo is Albert Brooks as Marlin. Adding to the cast are other great voice talents such as William Defoe as Gill, Brad Garret as Bloat, Allison Janney as Peach, Geoffrey Rush as Nigel, and Bob Peterson as Mr Ray. Other friendly fish Marlin encounters are three sharks voiced by Barry Humphries as Bruce, Eric Bana as Anchor, and Bruce Spence as Chum. Some righteous turtles join the picture like Andrew Stanton as Crush. It's unfortunate that Dory didn't bring some of these guys back, but the film did give us more characters to follow around. Ed O'Neill voices a sneaky octopus named Hank, and two whales join the pic with Kaitlin Olson playing Destiny, and Ty Burrell as Bailey. We also get a pair of goofy sea lions voiced by Idris Elba and Dominic West. Ellen Degeneres is the best part of the two films as she plays the lovable, but forgettable, Dory. Nemo had to change voices in between films. First being played by Alexander Gould, then passing the role to Hayden Rolence. To decide a winner though. I'm not sure. Both films use some of the same casts, so I'll go with Finding Nemo on this one. Don't worry, Dory will get its chance to earn it's points. I think I've done what I need to do in this round so shell I continue?

2. Story

Both of these films are heart tugging films at their finest. I believe they were meant to be so. Heck, I think both films would tug at all three of Hank's hearts. The score reflects that, but we're not their yet. In Finding Nemo, an over-protective father crouches the vast ocean to find his son. He teams up with an unlikely friend to help him achieve that. Finding Dory could have easily followed that formula as some sequels do, but instead it flips the script and has Dory search for her parents. Both films seem so surface level, but no. These films have much more depth to them. For Finding Nemo, we find that the reason Marlin is over-protective is because he lost his wife and so many other of his children to a fierce predator, so losing his only son the way he lost his other loved ones is not an option. Thirteen years later we got a sequel, and while I didn't expect a sequel at first, I began clamoring for it with each new publicity video. Watching Dory grow up through life without her parents is about as emotional as one could get. Until the end when they reunite and that trumps my previous statement. Wait it's been thirteen years? Oh man, I'm old. Both fish tales have great stories so picking the winner will be difficult. I think Finding Dory should win here, by succeeding in differing its story from its predecessor. Move along.

3. Effects/Music

I was originally going to do these two subjects in their own rounds, but because of the low action and I needed an odd number, I decided to combine the two. Which is okay, considering the two blend swimmingly together. The water looks wet, the land looks dry. There is no difference. I think Finding Nemo gets tangled up a bit when it comes to the human figures and overall the land in general. That's were Finding Dory gets Nemo, but both of these are very believable when it comes to existing in the same universe. I suppose some of the fish in Finding Dory have a shinier shade to them when in the daylight. As for score, Pixar usually uses Randy Newman to compose their scores, but for both Finding films they said H2NO to that. Instead, they went with Thomas Newman. A second Newman. Newman! There's a joke for you older readers. The score really melts the frostiest of hearts. I'm looking at you Elsa. It goes for a sad and haunting vibe for me, which works to great effect. The scores more or less the same for both films, each using their own ocean like sounds so both are somewhat the same, but are different in their own way. As for winner, I'm going to go with Finding Nemo. Now that Finding Nemo has won let us go to the conclusion then wrap this post up with a fin. That's french for the end.

Now that I've settled on my victor go to the comments and vote for your winner. Is Finding Nemo still the jewel or do you think Finding Dory overtook that title. I still think that Nemo is the best Pixar film. I've seen it many times and I look forward to watching it and Dory more in the future. REMEMBER! It is essential that for this to work you need to go to the comments section and say whether Finding Nemo or Dory is the best. That way I have a winner to announce in two or three weeks. You probably know what I have coming but I just put what I have being done. What did you think of the puns I came up with. All this I'd like to hear in the comments. Thanks for the support.

Which Is Better: Harry Potter Vs The Lord Of The Rings

Which Is Better: The Hobbit Trilogy Vs Star Wars Prequels

Which Is Better: Star Trek Vs Star Wars

Which Is Better: Tangled Vs Frozen

What Needs To Happen: Avengers Infinity War

Top Ten Stan Lee Cameos

Mission Impossible: Worst To Best

Bourne: Worst To Best

Ten Favorite Romantic Films Of All Time

Top Ten Anticipated Films Of 2017


Comments

  1. I think Finding Nemo was better, and much funnier. I didn't enjoy Finding Dory as much. It wasn't as funny. The plot was actually pretty good for Finding Dory. I would watch Finding Nemo again but won't watch Finding Dory again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Manipulation & Cinematic Reality: Christopher Nolan's Filmography