The Five Best Films of 2018

2018 brought on a slew of fantastic films, but these five are the crème de la crème.

In my opinion, 2018 was one of the best years the Hollywood industry has had of late. So much good came out all at once and together, we laughed, we cried, we oohed and awed at films that were either surprisingly good or expectedly awe-inspiring. It was a year for brilliant, high-concept original films along with the continuation of franchises that took themselves to the next level. These are those films.

While I knew that there would be some outstanding films this year, 2018 surprised me with more than what I could've ever anticipated. Compared last year, film was significantly busier at the box office. More films joined the billion-dollar club and we even got another entry into the two billion-dollar club. As it turned out, certain films were so popular that they became cultural phenomenons. I don't recall 2017 being as eventful. So as you might expect, this was tough, folks. Choosing the five best films of 2018 was harder than I ever could've imagined.

Honorable Mentions

Because it was stressful, I've decided to share brief summaries of my five honorable mentions, the films that almost made the list. (These are listed in alphabetical order.)

"Aquaman": Though not nearly as divisive as some other films in the DC Extended Universe, "Aquaman" sadly didn't please everybody. I feel bad for those who didn't like the film because it ended up being one of the best of the franchise. From one of scorn and mockery to one of respect, "Aquaman" changed my entire attitude towards the titular character and the film successfully told a classic hero's journey with one obscure hero.

"Black Panther": Firstly, I'm thrilled about this film breaking records and making history. "Black Panther" is a true landmark for the superhero genre and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. The film has a terrific protagonist and antagonist within a story that also contains a fascinating moral and political debate. The only reason the film didn't make my list is because of some underdeveloped CGI. Grade: A

"Free Solo": The story of one man's audacious goal climb El Capitan without a harness has one of the most inspiring messages out of any film this year. It's a real-life tale of courage and speaks to the power of one's determination. The film looks beautiful, but doesn't make my list because of a noticeable pacing issue. Still, I'm proud to say that I'm excited about the Best Documentary Feature category at the Oscars for once. Grade: A-

"Incredibles 2": For obvious and sentimental reasons, this was my most-anticapted film of 2018. Thankfully, Brad Bird's follow-up to his "The Incredibles" did not disappoint. The magic was back and the film ended up being another fun-filled adventure with the Parr family. Unfortunately, the film's plot hinged on a villain reveal that was obvious from the get-go and the story lacked the mature and adult edge of the first film. Grade: A-

"Mission: Impossible - Fallout": It's rare that a franchise six movies in is still producing quality entries. "Fallout" is the best film in the "Mission: Impossible" franchise by far. It outdid itself in more ways than one. To the point where I was disappointed by it's lack of Oscar nominations, especially in the musical and technical categories. Despite all its accomplishments, it too had a pacing issue. Grade: A

Now that I've covered the films that almost made my list, here are the five films that actually made my list of the five best films of 2018.

5. Avengers: Infinity War

Marvel Studios had quite the 2018. As I already mentioned, "Black Panther" quickly became a cultural phenomenon and "Ant-Man and the Wasp," which made my hidden gems list, matched its predecessor in quality and entertainment value. However, the studio's best film of the year was "Avengers: Infinity War," which scores the fifth spot on my list.

I'll mention the cast of thousands later, but I want to start with the directors. With "Infinity War," the Russo Brothers cemented themselves as the best directors that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has ever had. More so than what Joss Whedon accomplished with the first two "Avengers" films, the directing duo successfully create a narrative that's able to handle almost every character seen in the franchise to date. The Russos clearly understood the essence of each of the characters, especially the ones who had solo films that they did not direct. This is evidenced by the tone of the film and the inclusion of many environments that were shaped by different artists. When in Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, when zooming through the galaxy with the Guardians, or when within the city of Wakanda, you sense the presence of Scott Derrickson, James Gunn, and Ryan Coogler, almost like they were behind the camera when filming those scenes. Fortunately, it has the style that the Russo Brothers first brought to "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Captain America: Civil War."

For six years, Marvel Studios told us that the ultimate Marvel villain, Thanos, was coming and that he was going to do some major damage to our beloved heroes. Only, with mere promises accounting for the character's build-up, I was concerned that the film would fall flat when Thanos finally arrived. Boy, was I wrong. To go from producing hit-or-miss antagonists, to making a villain that outshines all the heroes was a twist no one could've predicted. In some ways, Thanos is the main character of the film. It's from his perspective that a majority of the narrative unfolds. He's the character in "Infinity War" with the most screen time, but also with the most depth. To us, his goal of wiping out half the universe doesn't make any sense, yet the movie allows us to see things from his point of view. Josh Brolin's motion-capture performance cannot be understated. Not once does his performance falter and not once does the CGI seem fake. It collectively works to bring this exceptional villain to life.

Since Thanos takes center stage in this movie, one might believe that the heroes are shortchanged. In reality, none of them are. Over ten years, I, along with many audiences around the world, have become invested in each of these characters, so because we already know them, it doesn't hurt the film when they're not on-screen. Although some are given more focus than others, every time I watch this film, I feel satisfied with how the Russo Brothers handled each one of them. While I sorely missed the few characters who didn't appear in the film, the conflict worked without them and in doing so, "Infinity War" left one of many incentives to see the follow-up, "Endgame."

The action sequences take your breath away as we witness many of the beloved heroes level up to fight this greater threat. Tony Stark kicked serious butt in his best Iron Man suit to date, Thor got an brand-new axe, and Doctor Strange enacted many new visually-stunning spells. Between the battles on Titan and Wakanda, the abundance of action helped keep the film going. The film gives you room to breathe while maintaining your excitement and interest. After sitting out of "Age of Ultron," Alan Silvestri returned to score the "Avengers" series and heightened the tragic tone of "Infinity War." The film would be at a loss without Silvestri's musical themes, both the ones he brings back and the new tracks he composed.

Since it's already been given away in the trailer for "Endgame," I might as well share my thoughts about the Snap since I didn't cover it in my original review. For the first time, watching that scene took the life out of me and I loved the Russo Brothers for taking that dramatic choice. The thing that was disappointing about the Snap was not the action itself, but was about people's reaction to it. While I was feeling exactly what the Russos wanted me to feel, Internet users swiftly proclaimed that most of the deaths would not stay permanent and they ruined it for me. You know what, even if we know that some of them might come back, it's still a development in the franchise that the protagonists had not yet experienced. They'd never lost this degree, so to see them at a loss for words at the end of the film was the perfect way to cap off a true Part 1.

It's worth noting that both "Infinity War" and "Endgame" are the first films to be shot entirely with IMAX cameras. Due to this knowledge, I ended up seeing "Infinity War" in IMAX for my second viewing and the more immersive format, combined with the fact that it happened on Marvel Studios' tenth anniversary, created a special experience at the cinema. With respect to the cultural significance of "Black Panther," "Avengers: Infinity War" was the best Marvel Studios film of 2018.

Grade: A

4. Creed II

Like everyone else who watched it, I loved the first "Creed," but unlike other people, I didn't believe that a sequel was necessary. The first "Creed" seemed to bring the franchise full circle and it didn't leave much of a hint that a continuation could be done.

However, Juel Taylor and Sylvester Stallone, the writers of "Creed II," came up with the brilliant idea of bringing Ivan Drago back into the franchise. Don't get me wrong, I think "Rocky IV" is the worst of the franchise, but this plot premise got me especially hyped for "Creed II" and it delivered.

The primary reason why "Creed II" makes this list is because of it's ability to tell a story that blends fresh and new ideas with the hallmarks of the franchise it's a part of. While I somewhat understand the critics who fault this film for sticking to the franchise's formula, "Creed II" offers more in its narrative than the beats that you're familiar with. This series has a penchant for crafting poignant and reflective stories for its lead characters and almost every time, the dilemmas are strong enough to get you emotionally invested into the characters and plot. "Creed II" is no exception. Don't believe me? During my theatrical viewing of this film, when Adonis was struggling to get back up after receiving a brutal blow, a fellow audience member softly spoke, "Get back up." Since it's unlikely that "Creed II" was this person's introduction to this franchise, that statement speaks to how right the writers script these characters. I mean, I remembered it for a reason and though I didn't convey my interest verbally, I was right there with that person.

Every actor in this film infuses all their effort and talent into their characters. Michael B. Jordon continues to be the the highlight of these new chapters and Jordon caped off 2018 with a performance that will resonate to everyone. Because of the greater stakes at play, Tessa Thompson's role as Bianca gets a welcome upgrade and she gets more to do than just support Adonis. Sylvester Stallone's Rocky Balboa is as involved in the plot as he traditionally is and though it's sad that Stallone recently announced that he's retiring the character, he went out on a high note as Balboa. Finally, the film's antagonists, Ivan Drago and his son Viktor, are the best the franchise has ever had. Their two characters are as compelling as the protagonists and their problems add significant depth to their personalities without detracting from those who should be the main focus.

Ludwig Göransson returns to score the sequel and once again, he nails it. As often the case with the many entries in this franchise, "Creed II" is an immeasurably inspiring film and that's reflected within Göransson's music. The boxing sequences are the most brutal that they've ever been and the franchise continued to make the fights more authentic with the showmanship angle of boxing getting a strong secondary focus. While "Rocky II" still remains my favorite of the franchise at large, "Creed II" is close behind it.

Grade: A

3. A Quiet Place

To be honest with you, I had little desire to see "A Quiet Place." I recall seeing the advertisement for it and the film strongly capitalizing on its whole "the main characters have to stay quiet to survive" premise. Even though the concept peaked my interest, I thought that it was merely another angle for the Horror genre, one that I find incredibly contrived, to attract new audience members. I would've missed out on the film's theatrical run had it not been for a few recommendations from some friends and family. I did so and I left the theater stupefied.

The fact that this was an original film, not based on a book or secretly connected to another franchise, amazes me and that's not even mentioning that it was directed by that funny guy from "The Office" and produced by Michael Bay.

"A Quiet Place" is a film that envelops you into its atmosphere and doesn't let up until the credits roll. For ninety minutes, you find yourself on edge, afraid to make a sound. I understand that it may not have been that way for everybody, but that was the case with my theater. What was funny about it was that I made the mistake of purchasing concessions ahead of the movie and once it started, I and the group that went with me were afraid to eat any of it. Because the characters are afraid to make any noise, you're afraid to make any noise, be it a cough or a crunch.

Few people working in Hollywood today have the talent to simultaneously write, direct, and star in their own film. While not his first time doing, John Krasinski was able pull off the monumental feat and his work is remarkable not just because he made a great film within a genre I have little respect for, but because it had more to offer than scares. In the past, I've viewed Horror films as shallow experiences that only exist to deliver cut-and-dried scares. "A Quiet Place" is the antithesis of the Horror genre. It ignores the common ingredients seen in Horror films. Instead of over-the-top screaming, hardly anyone screams in the film. Rather than cheap scares, the scares are earned. This is all because noise is made the threat, or at least the way the threat finds its victims. There's an unprecedented amount of personality and development infused into the characters and it's surprising because there's no verbal dialogue.

"A Quiet Place" featured some of the best performances of 2018. I've already mentioned John Krasinski's talent as a writer and director, but his acting skills might be more impressive. He and Emily Blunt, his real-life wife, lead the picture and command your attention as two of the four actors in the movie. In addition, the two child actors are outstanding. The heart of the story would've fallen apart if Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe weren't up to the task. Fortunately, they were and the film delivers iconic emotional moments because they sell the terror and tragedy of certain scenes, of which I will not spoil.

At the end of every review, I make sure to encourage recommendations from you about what my next movie review should be for. Since "A Quiet Place" was a recommendation, I'm going to make sure I continue to do so. Who knows? You may suggest a film makes my annual best-of list.

Grade: A

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Don't you just love it when an animated film comes along and has an edge to it? I certainly do. In fact, I love it so much that "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" scores the second-place spot on my list. While I anticipated a great movie, I couldn't have predicted loving this more than others that I expected to be better than it at first.

Truth be told, I haven't read many Miles Morales comic book stories. Despite that, because there have been so many theatrical film interpretations of Peter Parker, I've wanted to see a new person behind the mask, namely Morales. In "Spider-Verse," Shameik Moore voices Miles Morales and he absolutely nails it. I didn't think I could ever love any other Spider-Man more than Peter Parker, but Moore's performance challenges that preconceived opinion. Similar to Adonis Creed from the "Creed" movies, Miles is continuing a major legacy and the heart of this film lies within his journey to become his own kind of hero. Perhaps it's because I've seen Peter Parker portrayed so many times in film, but it felt refreshing to see a new kind of hero take up the mantle of Spider-Man. This film shines a lot, but my favorite moments are when it dives into what it means to be Spider-Man and how one truly transforms into a hero.

It's telling how strong the narrative is when it's able to juggle multiple Spider-People without fail. In addition to bringing Miles front and center, "Spider-Verse" showed that a superhero film could balance multiple heroes, characters that had no previous introduction. From Jake Johnson's rendition of an older Peter Parker, to Nicholas Cage as the vintage Spider-Noir, the other arachnid-themed heroes make for dynamic characters even without having much development. The villains are the same way. Granted, villains like Scorpion, Tombstone, Green Goblin, and Dr. Olivia Octavius don't have many layers beyond being bad guys. However, villains like Prowler and especially Wilson Fisk/Kingpin are compelling through the writing, voice work, and their visual design.

The field of animated filmmaking is always expanding into new territory. In 2018, filmmakers like Wes Anderson and Brad Bird expanded pushed the frontier of stop-motion animation and computer-animation with their films, "Isle of Dogs" and "Incredibles 2" respectively. By following their individual style, their films look great, but they pale in comparison to "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse," a film that wholly reinvents animation as we know it. It has the style of a comic book, the dimension of modern computer-animation, and the color scheme of paintings. The character designs look like that of a cartoon, but their facial features look so real that you'd swear you're watching a live-action movie. Every frame looks like nothing you've seen before.

2018 was the best year for superhero movies in a long time. In a year that had the likes of "Black Panther" and "Avengers: Infinity War," it's a terrific accomplishment for "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" to be my favorite superhero film of the year.

Grade: A+

1. Ready Player One

Okay, I predict one of two different scenarios are happening right now as of your discovery of my top spot choice. One, you did not see this coming, you're surprised at this reveal, and assuming you follow any of my social media accounts, you're just now putting two and two together regarding my choice of profile picture. Two, you probably saw this coming, this reveal isn't the least bit shocking to you, and you're finding this deviation from the main point tedious. If the former scenario is accurate, this attempt at humor succeeded. If the latter scenario is correct, it didn't and I apologize. Either way, it's time to rave about a marvelous film.

There's no denying that Steven Spielberg's not the director he once was. Nowadays, he's very hit-or-miss. On the one hand, he'll make good films like "Bridge of Spies" and "The Post," but then he'll direct massive disappointments like his adaptation of Roald Dahl's "The BFG." Even when he makes good films, they don't live up to the many masterpieces he made prior to the 2000s. On many occasions, I wondered he'd ever make a film that was as good as "Jaws," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," and "Jurassic Park." As it turned out, I didn't have to wait long.

The true reason why "Ready Player One" is as good as those aforementioned films is because Spielberg is the director. I mean, who would have been better suited to direct a film adaptation of a book that celebrates pop culture than the man who arguably made pop culture a thing? Make no mistake, this film isn't all nostalgia. In fact, the references in the film are underplayed when compared to the actual novel. Instead, the adaptation takes the book's basic story and strengthens it by evolving the characters and turning the plot into a cautionary tale as well as emphasizing the importance of building real-world relationships. It feels appropriate that a movie set inside a virtual world, a video game, be able to work on multiple levels. If you're looking for a wonderful trip down memory lane, you'll get it. If you're looking for something more, you'll also find it.

Altogether, the cast assembled were talented. Prior to the film's release, I wasn't sure if I liked Tye Sheridan being cast as the lead, Wade Watts. Having seen the film, he's actually the best part of the movie and Wade Watts may be the best role of his career thus far. The actor gives Watts an endearing and shrewd personality, which was far superior to the book version of Watts in my opinion. Olivia Cooke as Samantha Cook is written very similar to Watts, making their eventual pairing apt as well as earned, but she also has an identity of her own that's just as interesting. Mark Rylance and Simon Pegg have a short amount of screen time, yet both men make a lasting impression on the overall film. Ben Mendelsohn is tremendous as the villain. He's far from generic and written with a strong and specific motivation that can apply to all, but particularly the ones who love pop culture and video games.

Of all the CGI-heavy films that came out in 2018, "Ready Player One" is the film that did the most with it. The film is filled with elaborate creations that vary in shape, size, and color design. Spielberg exceeded my exceptions for what brought to life exactly what I thought the OASIS would look like when I read the book. He takes a step beyond and molds a future that feels possible, given the way it's tied to real-world problems. Back to the OASIS, I loved the contrast in color between it and the real world. The lavish presentation of the virtual world makes it believable that the people of Earth would abandon a less-than stellar world for an artificial one where you could become a completely different person.

Personally, I simply fell in love with this film. It has the Spielberg magic, a score that's an instant classic, and a narrative that never grows tiresome. It doesn't drown itself with pop culture references, neither do the filmmakers do a disservice to the nostalgic fun of the concept. I was tempted to put this film on my hidden gems list, considering almost everybody seemingly forgot about this film rather quickly, but since "Ready Player One" is my favorite film of 2018, I put it on this list as such.

Grade: A+

Conclusion

So there it is, the third and final entry of my 2018 recap. I apologize for taking so long, but I hope the wait was worth it. I had a great time sharing my views on the worst, underrated, and best films of 2018. I look forward to next year where I aim to be swifter with releasing my yearly recap articles. Thanks for reading, I'm Dallin, your resident Film Fanatic, and I'll return soon with another editorial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Manipulation & Cinematic Reality: Christopher Nolan's Filmography