The Five Best Films of 2019

My favorite part of my 2019 recap is here. It's time for me to share my personal list of the best films of 2019.

As with every year, it's difficult to narrow it down to just five. Although this is my fourth year doing this, so I'm less stressed about having to choose what films are omitted. Just like last year, before I start with my top five, allow me to share some runners up, which are arranged in alphabetical order.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - In my review of this film, I gave it an A+. (This was before I switched my rating system.) Hindsight being 20/20 - ha, ha, ha - I'll admit that it was a premature scoring. Upon revisit, I had a few issues with it that took it down a peg, mainly some of the secondary character choices. Still, "The Hidden World" was an emotionally satisfying conclusion to DreamWorks' best franchise.

Knives Out - Rian Johnson's murder-mystery was an engrossing experience at the multiplex. Johnson's writing and Daniel Craig's Benoit Blanc were the best parts, but the entire cast and the mystery did not disappoint.

Shazam! - One of my "Hidden Gems" entries, "Shazam!" is a laugh-out-loud romp that also packs its own dramatic punch. I look forward to seeing what David F. Sandberg does next in the sequel.

Toy Story 4 - Against all odds, Pixar produced a fourth "Toy Story" installment that's just as good as the previous three. Continuing to explore the world of toys, "Toy Story 4" brought in new characters, reintroduced Bo Peep, and brought Woody's story to a close in true Pixar fashion.

And now, my list of the five best films of 2019.

5. Jojo Rabbit

A risky endeavor that absolutely worked out, "Jojo Rabbit" is remarkable in both its satire and drama. This movie completely caught me off guard. I went in expecting a goofy comedy and got so much more.

There were child actors who gave good performances in 2019, but Roman Griffin Davis's filmmaking debut was a powerhouse performance that blew them all out of the water. It is up there with the best performances from a young actor. He has such a complicated role to play and yet he's able to fulfill it with ease. He is the best part of the movie, but Thomasin McKenzie and Scarlett Johansson are just as crucial to the story and both actresses create fascinating characters.

Regardless of whether or not you liked this movie, you can certainly see Taika Waititi's fingerprints all over this. Everything about this film is infused with his comedic talent. In "Jojo Rabbit," he uses similar strategies from previous Hitler mockers and combines them with his signature comedic ability. Waititi's Adolf "You-Can-'Heil'-Me-Better-Than-That" Hitler is a walking humor magnet. You can't help laughing at his absurd behavior, even when he's acting serious. As a director, he lets his camera help tell the story. Part of the visuals help show how certain characters are feeling or hint at developments still to come.

Such subtlety is not what I expected from a Nazi satire, but that's part of what makes "Jojo Rabbit" so great. It delivers the expected laughs, but adds many welcome additions that subvert your expectations. It absolutely deserves the acclaim it has received and is a strong start to my list.

4. Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary

To mark the twentieth anniversary of "Galaxy Quest," Fandom Entertainment produced a documentary centered on the highly influential sci-fi film.

This could've easily been a simple, play-by-play retelling of the making of the movie. Though it does do that, that's not all it offers. It is a celebration of fandom. It captures the positivity and joy of being part of a collective group of people who all share the same passions as you. Though its target audience are "Galaxy Quest" fans, this film is accessible to many, but those "Quest" fans will be particularly pleased.

As a "Quest" fan myself, this is exactly the documentary I would've made to commemorate the film's anniversary. The stories told about the production process are more engaging and honest than a majority of other film-based documentaries. I felt like I was behind the camera, watching these interviews take place, asking the filmmakers and actors these questions, and learning about all the behind-the-scenes hardships. "Never Surrender" makes clear what a labor of love "Galaxy Quest" was and how it continues to find more and more meaning as pop culture continues to grow. 

3. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Since reviewing "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood," I checked out the 2018 Fred Rogers documentary, "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" The two films are wonderful companion pieces to each other. If you want a biographical look at Fred Rogers's life, check out the documentary. If you want to see how Rogers's principles changed a cynic, check out Marielle Heller's film.

What makes this movie so powerful are the performances, led by Matthew Rhys as Lloyd Vogel, a loose representation of real-life reporter Tom Junod. He could've been such a repellent character, but rather than immediately shun him, though, the film makes you care deeply for this man. His past is so tragically outlined that I could understand, if not necessarily agree, with Lloyd Vogel's jaded personality. He's journey to recovery is simple yet impactful, providing a message that resonated so strongly, I cried multiple times.

As expected, Tom Hanks is a master at work. As Fred Rogers, he gives one of his best performances and because Hanks was Rogers's favorite actor, it's all-the-more touching to see his work here unfold. Though he isn't the main character, Rogers's presence is felt throughout the film. With Rhys, Hanks, and unique production values, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" is a feel-good film that does justice to an inspiring story.

2. Ford v Ferrari

It's great when a film comes along, one that's part of a played-out genre, and totally surprises with its ingenuity. "Ford v Ferrari" is one such film.

Despite a two-and-a-half-hour runtime, this movie, like its winning car, runs fast and smooth. It has a plot that is simple in premise, but impresses with its layers. It takes conventional roles that you've heard before and gives them new life through first-rate performances and honest writing. Christian Bale and Matt Damon make for an irresistible leading duo, friends who share a passion for racing. Their ideals often have to be regulated by the business folks at Ford Motors Co., led by actors Tracy Letts, Jon Bernthal, and Josh Lucas.

Underneath the surface, their interactions are comparable to two lumps of coal rubbing against each other. The two sides argue with each other, but this leads to them creating the perfect diamond. What's so great about these scenes is that neither party is vilified and both are capable of seeing the other side's point of view. To me, "Ford v Ferrari" is all about collaboration and understanding and director James Mangold is able to show that through compelling character drama. Mangold also creates some of the best racing sequences ever put to film. The grittiness of the environment, the driver's performance, and the use of sound and editing make for the perfect mix. As a racing film and a character piece, "Ford v Ferrari" offers a lot under its hood.

1. Avengers: Endgame

The word that comes to my mind when I think of 2019 is "end." Seeing as 2019 marked the end of a decade, the word is fitting, though I also believe that had something to do with the fact that numerous franchises from film and TV came to a close that year. Many of those series were given honorable conclusions, but personally, none were as grand and perfect as "Avengers: Endgame," the conclusion to Marvel Studios' Infinity Saga.

For eleven years, we've seen countless characters grow and change in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). "Endgame" wraps all of that storytelling up in ambitious and rewarding fashion. I would argue that it was so satisfying that it's almost unbelievable that it exists. Even now, having watched the film multiple times, I have to pinch myself to assure myself that what I watched was real. What a momentous accomplishment on the part of directors Anthony and Joe Russo, producer Kevin Feige, writers Christopher Marcus and Stephen McFeely, and the giant assembly of cast members, many of whom have been involved since Day 1. Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner all put forth their best effort. For a few of them, this is their opportunity to make a lasting impression and they did so spectacularly.

As was the intention, the OG Avengers shine throughout. After the defeat dealt to them in "Infinity War" by Thanos, each of them have tried to run from their sorrow, with varying digress of success. What I love most about this movie is that these heroes rise to the occasion once more in spite of all they've lost/risk losing. There's a moment where Captain America, having beaten very closely to death, still rises to fight. There's nobody behind him, he's up against an immeasurable army, yet he still stands! This single moment is the most inspiring thing from any movie I watched in 2019.

"Avengers: Endgame" marked an ending of an era and I will always treasure the memories of seeing my favorite heroes team up one last time. What can I say, I love it 3,000.

Conclusion

This has been my list of the best films of 2019. I hope you enjoyed it. Share your thoughts in the comments below as well as your own list. I'm Dallin, your resident film fanatic, and I'll return soon with another review. Thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Manipulation & Cinematic Reality: Christopher Nolan's Filmography